Need A DWI Lawyer In New York?
Get help now from defense attorney, Lisa Pelosi, and protect your rights.
What does a typical DUI or DWI arrest look like?
- DUI or DWI arrests usually begins with being pulled over by police -they ask for your driver’s license, insurance and vehicle registration. Panic certainly sets in for most people.
- Then, the officer performs a few field sobriety tests.
- If after the tests the officer has probable cause to believe you are driving under the influence, he or she will take you to the police station. At the station you are placed under arrest and booked.
- Protocol calls for your car to be seized and impounded after arrest.
What’s Next After a DWI Arrest?
At the police station, you will be asked to submit to chemical tests.If the tests show that you are not under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances, you will released and in some cases face various traffic violations. If your blood alcohol content (BAC) is at least or over .05 but under .08 percent (and no controlled substances were found in the chemical tests), no loss of license or statutory summary suspension will be imposed. However, the DUI charge will remain until the court takes appropriate action.
If you did not take the test (refused or failed to take the tests), the Statutory Summary Suspension will remain in effect. If this is a repeat DUI offense AND you refused testing, you will not be able to obtain a Restricted Driving Permit (RDP) for the period of the three-year suspension. A repeat DUI or DWI offender who did take the sobriety and chemical test and fails will not eligible for an Restricted Driving Permit for a 12-month suspension period.
If your test results showed a BAC of at least .08 percent or more, or a trace of drug, controlled substance or other intoxicating chemical, you will receive police report notifying you of a Statutory Summary Suspension.
If you already have a valid driver’s license, you will be issues a receipt that will allow you to continue driving for a period of 45 days. You can request additional DUI or DWI testing at your own expense and the results will be admissible in court.You may be jailed and required to post bond and your vehicle may be towed, impounded or seized.
Learn about DWI lawyers and how to find the best defense attorney to handle your case.
Find a reputable DWI attorney that is skilled and experienced handling:
- all drunk driving defense cases
- driving under the influence DUI
- driving while intoxicated DWI
- driving while ability is impaired DWAI
The best DWI lawyers will have the skills and experience to handle all types of DUI and DWI arrests. A good lawyer will give their clients personal attention and have the skills to get the best and most favorable outcome possible.